If you’ve never been to our Fort Collins spice store, then you haven’t seen just how many herbs and spices we actually have. It can be easy to miss things, because we have such a wide array of teas, spices, sauces, and more. A lot of our herbs and spices are hidden treasures that people don’t normally think of. That’s why we decided to make a list of options that you need to try! Here are some of our unique favorites:
- Smoked Serrano Powder - Smoked serrano chili powder has a very hot and savory flavor. It adds a smoky, rich flavor with a lively heat. Some of our favorite dishes to add it to are stews, sauces, casseroles, chili, egg dishes, and Mexican dishes.
- Turmeric Root - The use of turmeric has blown up in the last year, with people putting it in their lattes and tea. One of its uses is in Moroccan cuisine to spice meat (like lamb) and vegetables. When you think of turmeric, you typically think of curries and curry powders. We love using it in stir-fried chicken, seafood, vegetables, rice dishes and sauces. Another great way to use it is to add punch to relishes and chutneys.
- Saigon Cinnamon - Saigon cinnamon is one of the best types of cinnamon, in our opinion. It is used primarily for its aromatic bark, which is a type of cassia cinnamon but with a more complex aroma, because of a higher oil content. Because of this Saigon cinnamon is sweeter than other forms of cassia. Cinnamon is an old favorite for fancy coffee drinks, cookies, or hot oatmeal. It's also a popular spice for Greek, Mexican, and Middle Eastern main dishes like seafood, chicken, and lamb. Saigon cinnamon is a key ingredient in the popular pho (Vietnamese noodle soup).
- Hibiscus Salt - If you’re looking to try a new twist on something classic, this is it! You can’t find hibiscus salt at another Fort Collins spice store. The tangy and floral taste of hibiscus, paired with the sweet and citrusy taste of orange, make this salt perfect for many dishes. It adds a delicate, fruity zing to cocktails and desserts. We like to add it to salads, fruits, veggies, ice cream, smoked salmon, even avocado toast!
- Orange Juice Powder - This powder adds a great orange flavor to anything you put it in. It’s perfect for baked goods and desserts. We love using it to make homemade orange icing for cookies and cakes. Another great way to use orange juice powder is for an orange glaze on chicken or other meats. One of our favorites is adding it to brownie mix for a delicious orange-flavored brownie!
At Old Town Spice Shop, we like to fresh grind many of the spices ourselves so they are fresher than you can get at many other shops. Our large variety of products allows us to serve everyone, and every taste palate.Come check out our selection of herbs and spices at your local Fort Collins spice store. Stop by Old Town Spice Shop today for recipe recommendations, or visit us online at www.oldtownspiceshop.com to order some new spices.